Silmax: a long history
The adventure already started at the beginning of the nineteenth century, when in 1819 Paul Alessio began to forge his first tools by hand, using the iron from the mines of Lanzo valleys, with the only help of the motive force from the water of the stream nearby.The new, small workshop was called “L’Usine”.
In 1955, the company was taken over by Mario Fumagalli and led by his son, Enrico Maria Fumagalli, an engineer. In this way, the glorious “Usine” became Silmax and the small workshop changed into a a state-of-the-art joint-stock company.
In 1990, Silmax restored the building, built at the end of the eighteenth century, placing ancient lathes, milling machines, tool grinding machines and tools on the three floors of the “biota” (ancient workshop). This is how the Cutting Tool Museum was created, a company museum having strong historical impact, presented in an environment and immersed in an atmosphere that take visitors back to the working reality of the 1800s.
The year 2005 represented a milestone for Silmax: it celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Today, Silmax is a renowned enterprise in the sector of cutting tools. It keeps growing and extending its product range, but, at the same time, under the guidance of its president and Managing Director, Dario Fumagalli, it carefully follows the evolution of the market by constantly adapting its production lines.
Today Silmax continues its history and development, always careful to keep high the quality of its products, while ensuring its customers’ satisfaction..
Silmax celebrates 200 years.
Silmax opens its new PVD-coating plant.
New commercial headquarters are inaugurated in India, China, Germany and Slovakia.
Silmax celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Mr. Enrico Maria Fumagalli, thanks to the commitment to the territory, becames honorary citeizen of Lanzo Torinese.
Silmax opens New Plant 2.
The Silmax Cutting Tool Museum is created, a company museum having strong historical impact.
Silmax SpA-Balzers AG Joint-venture.
“L’Usine” becomes the modern Silmax S.p.A.
Under the guidance of Enrico Maria Fumagalli, the “Usine” resumed its tool production.
Paul Alessio begins to forge his first tools. His workshop is called “L’Usine”.